The Cantlon Otterness Funeral Home, L.C. traces it's beginnings to the late 1920's when L.B. Jones operated the first funeral home in Buffalo, Missouri, the Jones Funeral Home at the corner of Missouri and Pine. In 1962, Jerry and Marlene Cantlon came to the Buffalo community where they owned the Jones-Cantlon Funeral Home, later dropping the Jones name. In 1978 they purchased the Parrish-Beckner Funeral Home and moved the business to the current location on Main St. In 1982 they purchased the Vaughan Funeral Home in Urbana and in 1988 they built a new facility on Broadway St. in Urbana.
Eric and Kay (Cantlon) Otterness returned to Buffalo in 1986 following Eric's graduation from mortuary school. When the Cantlon's retired in 1998, Eric and Kay purchased the funeral homes, adding the Otterness name in 2000.
Neal Oglesbee joined the business in 1987 and retired in 2013, followed by Milan VanHoutan in 2016. Currently the staff is composed of Jarod Campbell (2009), Brad Lewis (2013), Mike Lewis (2016) and Gladys Reser, who was an important part of the Vaughan Funeral Home before the Cantlons purchased it.